Sunday, March 27, 2011

Volcanic Eruption


Today I conducted an experiment using vinegar, baking soda, and red food coloring. I was trying to make a real volcano. To make it look like real lava, I used the baking soda and red dye together.

That's me above! I was wearing my shirt to cover my mouth and nose so I won't smell that odor (a.k.a. the vinegar smell). I wore the gloves so I wouldn't get any of the vinegar and baking soda on me.

First, I put the baking soda in the volcano. Then I used a funnel to put the dyed red vinegar into the volcano. Check it out below:


Suddenly, the volcano erupted!!!


I kept adding more baking soda and vinegar so it could sizzle more.




It was a bit smelly, but it took a lot of guts to put it in. Overall, it was a really good experiment and a bit insane.

And, by the way, the "guts" thing is just an expression. I didn't put my actual guts into it, because that would be really disgusting and weird.

3 comments:

  1. I love the pictures! How fantastic! I've always wanted to try this experiment but never had the chance. Was this for science class or did you decide to conduct this experiment on your own?

    Great job! :)

    ~ Miss Rottkamp

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, you should post your lego projects as well since it would be very fitting to your blog name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decided to conduct this experiment on my own. I did it with my speech therapist! Today I'm actually going to show latest Legos creations.

    ReplyDelete